This is one of my favorite dish that I’m quite proud of to cook and serve when I have my friends around. The ingredients look pretty complicated, but it is very easy to make.
Ingredients for chicken marinade:
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp of ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp of garam masala
- 2 tbsp of ground cumin
- 1300 gram supreme chicken with skin on/ chicken thighs
- 120 gr unsalted butter (or salted butter)
- 4 tsp of vegetable oil
- 2 medium size of yellow onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 medium size of tomatoes, diced (or one can of tomatoes purée)
- 2 red chilis, like Anaheim, or 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup of chicken stock, or home made
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 tsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of ground almonds, finely chopped or crushed
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro / coriander leaves, stems removed
- cooked rice for serving
A night before serving, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala, and ground cumin in a large bowl. Cut the chicken into medium pieces. Put the chicken in, and refrigerate over night.
The next day, take out the marinated chicken from the fridge an hour before cooking. Melt the butter in the oil until it starts to foam in a large pan or a wok. Add chopped onions, stirring frequently until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, cook until the onions start to brown.
Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chilis and cook until the chilis are soft.
Add the chicken and marinade and cook for 5 minutes or so. Then, add the chicken stock. Bring it to boil over medium heat. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes.
Add the cream and tomato paste, and simmer with low heat until chicken is cooked through for about 15 minutes. In the mean time, put crushed almond in a small pan over medium heat until it starts to brown.
Scatter the almond over the chicken. Turn off the heat. Garnish with the cilantro leaves.
Your butter chicken is ready to serve with rice.